Thursday, April 10, 2014

What Are We Striving For?



Have you ever wondered if what you're striving for in life is worth it? Have you dared ask yourself if at the core of your being you truly care about what is important?

I think for me, I always assume that my deepest desires are pure and righteous..that somewhere beneath the fleshliness of my sinful nature my "TRUE" self, cares about what truly matters in life.  But the more I ask myself the hard questions the more I realize that underneath the fleshliness of my sinful nature...I am still sinful. I am a selfish, selfish human being....and guess what, You are too.

We are all selfish. Human nature, makes us selfish, and as if our inherent nature wasn't bad enough we have a world telling us how much we 'deserve'. How much we 'need' and just how far we should be willing to go to get 'it'. 

You deserve a big house, you deserve fashionable clothes, you deserve to spend money on YOU, you've earned it. Do we really "earn" anything in life that should only be used for us without any thought to how we might use what we've been given to help others?? 

These are hard questions and let me just say, it's NOT fun when you realize that you really would rather buy a new spring scarf than give your money to a homeless person. Or that you really don't know if you can spare $30 a month to support a child in India because what if you get invited out to lunch by a girlfriend and don't have the money?? What if you see a new purse, new shoes for your kid or need a haircut?? It sounds so stupid but these are thoughts I have been guilty of thinking in my life.

I'd feel conviction and the prodding of the Holy Spirit asking me to sacrifice and ALLLLLL the things I've ever wanted to purchase in my whole entire life flashes before my eyes in that moment. And in a moment of complete honesty...There have been times I've said no to God. I've walked away from what I KNOW was Gods tug upon my heart and all so I could buy something for ME that I don't even remember buying at this point.

It may not be material things that we strive for. It may be to be the perfect mom, or the perfect wife. It may be to be physically fit or advance in our careers. None of those things are "bad". But is it making a difference to someone outside of what is important to "us"??

Maybe we strive for compliments, or the affirmation of others. Maybe we want to be popular, in the limelight or #1 at something. We work so hard at so many things day after day and we get so consumed with our own little world that we forget that there is a big picture out there.

There is a world that is lost, hungry, thirsty, dying, and alone.

And we shut our eyes and close our doors and continue on with our lives of Target runs and football practice, new outfits and new jobs. We forget, we don't see, we don't change and what we are so desperately striving to succeed at is only benefiting us. 

Does what you're striving for really matter?? Is it helping anyone outside of your 4 walls? Are you willing to sacrifice so that someone else can live??

I recently saw this video and it's really powerful. Please take a minute to watch it and ask the Holy Spirit to speak to your heart. Gods agenda is PEOPLE! Investing in People is the most important thing we could do.








Be Blessed~~













No comments:

Post a Comment