Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Messy Mommy- Train Up A Child




As mommas we have an important job to do. We may never fully understand the weight and privilege  it truly is to train up our children.

As I've mentioned before, I'm a mommy of a beautiful 5 year old little girl(Mckenzie) and a sweet and spunky almost 1 year old boy(Parker), and they are my biggest blessings.

Even on my messiest mommy days, they are my biggest blessing, although I can't promise I would say so in the middle of that messy moment. :)

As I was changing my sons diaper after his after noon nap a few days ago, I started thinking about the differences in mommy seasons and what "taking care of the kids" really looks like.
When they are infants and babies like Parker is now, my primary role is meeting his basic needs. Taking care of him physically. Feeding, changing, bathing, clothing...and snuggling of course. :)

When you're on your first child that stage can seem endless. It seems tiring, mundane even at times.

But once they graduate from that stage of taking care of their basic needs you realize that your role is so much bigger. Mckenzie was about three when I truly started to see that I was not only responsible for making sure her basic needs were met, but I was responsible for shaping her to be a good human being.{With her dads help of course, :)}  To have respect and morals, to learn right and wrong and have faith in a God she can't see or comprehend. I think it's at THAT moment that the diapering and two am feedings seem much more doable. :)

It's no longer about hot dogs or cereal or shorts or sweatpants, it's about training a sinful human being to follow God.

THAT is a huge responsibility!!

"Train up a child in the way they will go, and when they are old they will not depart from it."Prov 22:6

Is an inspiring verse for parenthood, but it also carries much weight.

It can be completely overwhelming the thought of my children's eternal destination hinging on my teachings and example in these early years of their lives. SOOO OVERWHELMING

There are many days when I ask God "Am I completely screwing up my kids?" and after I see Mckenzie throw a monster tantrum and be stubborn and selfish in ALL the same ways I know I can do those things, I think....."YEP, I'm DEFINITELY screwing up my kids." haha

But I'm so thankful for a God who sees past all that.

I am an imperfect human being! I am an imperfect parent for SURE, so why on earth would God leave the training of my children up to ME?!?!

Here's what I've discovered. "God grace is sufficient for me and his strength his made perfect in my weakness." 2 Corin 12:9.

God knew I wouldn't be perfect, He knew I'd have a million failures and stresses and messy days when I scream and cry more than I love and nurture and he chose me anyway!! He CHOSE me and my amazing hubby to train up these children even though we are not perfect.

It's not about me, it's not about Tim, it's about GODS STRENGTH being made perfect in our times and areas of weakness and allowing GOD to train our children through us.

Let me just say, that takes a HUGE weight off. Just typing that I sighed a huge sigh of relief. :)

Gods grace is sufficient for me, it's sufficient for you! He chose YOU and ME to be the imperfect messy mommy's to our kiddos and he knew we would not be able to do it alone!

He knows what you need, He has wisdom for every area that you will face in raising up your kids to love and honor God.

All we must do is seek HIM! Seek GOD, Seek his wisdom.

Matthew 6:33 says, "Seek FIRST, the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you."


As we seek God and his righteousness, God can do an amazing work inside us as mommies. You are not in this alone, you have the creator of the universe helping you succeed. All he asks, is that we seek him first, and rely on his strength when we are at our messiest.

I don't know about you, but knowing that feels AH-MAZING!!

HIS GRACE is SUFFICIENT for us all!!!

Blessings and Peace to all my beautifully Messy Mommies today!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment