Monday, October 7, 2013

The Moments We Wait For

It happened! Today it happened!!! A moment that validated all other moments. A moment that I'd longed for, hoped for, waited for.

 It happened. Today, it happened.

I was sitting on the floor with my one year old playing with toys when it happened. There wasn't anything unusual about this interaction, we often sit and play with toys..well to be completely honest, I sit and watch HIM play with toys. But we were sitting together on the floor just the same. And then, it happened.....

My sweet little one year old crawled over to me and all by himself climbed into my lap and rested his head on my chest. He gibbered and jabbered and I just KNEW he was saying, "I love you" in his own little way.

That was it, that was the moment.

As moms there are so many things we do for our children. So many things that feel unnoticed, that seem unappreciated at times. But we do them just the same. Everyday, without fail, we continue on. Do we do it to earn love? No. Do we do it to gain our kids respect? Probably not. We do it, because we love them, and it's just what we do.

So you may be wondering why this moment was of such importance...I mean, kids crawl on their moms all the time right? Yes, he does often crawl over to me, but this time was different. I didn't have any food that he was wanting, or a toy he thought looked fun. I didn't have anything that would benefit him in that moment, he wasn't hurt or in need of comfort....It was just me, nothing more. And he chose to crawl up in my lap and give me love.

It's a really special feeling when your child says I love you without any motives, without anything to gain. Just a desire to shower  you with affection.

Yep, that was a moment that validated all the unglamorous mommy moments. That was a moment all mommy's wait for.


I wonder if this is how our Heavenly Father feels sometimes??

It's so easy to run to God when we're hurting, when we need an answered prayer and of course he loves it when we come to him regardless of the circumstances. He absolutely wants us to come to him with our hurts and with our stress. When we need comfort and provision.

But I wonder if God, like me is waiting...hoping...longing for the moment when we come to him with no motives or requests....with just a desire to shower love on HIM because he's special. Because he's our daddy. Because he's been there in all the unglamorous moments.

When things are going good, it's easy to forget that we have a GOD who desperately loves us. Who's desire is to be intricately woven into every part of who we are. I wonder sometimes, if he feels bad that we carry on our lives without him. We over look him, and forget to show him love....just because.

We were created to be in relationship with God, to know him and for him to know us.

I've learned that because God is, well..... GOD he already knows the depths of who I am. But he doesn't just want to know things because he's all knowing...he wants to know it because I've shown him, included him and invited him in.

There is a love that is shown when a hurt, crying child runs to their mommy for comfort and something special happens in that exchange. But it's an even better feeling when our child chooses to bestow love upon us, not out of reaction or need, but out of affection for who we are to them.


I think just as I loved that special moment where my precious lil boy crawled into my lap to rest his head on my chest, God desires the same from us.



A moment hoped for.....longed for....A moment that even GOD waits for.




No comments:

Post a Comment