Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Pain of Sacrifice


I was reminded of a saying today that once brought great peace in the midst of a painful circumstance.

Do you ever find yourself in the midst of a trying circumstance? Or maybe in the midst of what feels like a great sacrifice??

I've been there more times than I'd like and I'm sure I'll be there again someday. 

When I'm in the middle of something that feels really hard I can get really down. Sometimes I just feel sad, other times I feel angry. Sometimes I just feel like life isn't fair and I want to cry and stomp my feet at God and remind him how unfair I really feel this situation is.

Can you relate?

This saying was told to me by a dear friend in the midst of one of my pity parties over something I felt was too much of a sacrifice....she said...

"The sting of sacrifice is soothed in His presence"

Man that's a good lil saying packed with a powerful punch.

You see, there will most likely come a time in all Christians lives when God asks something of them that will feel like a sacrifice.
It could be taking a job that scares you, or taking a job that seems "less" than what you deserve.
Maybe it's moving away from family, or shelving a dream of getting married or having children to follow Gods plan for your life.
Maybe God is asking you to cut ties with someone or something that is bringing you down and drawing you away from Him.
Maybe he's asking you to break old habits or come out from the crowd and stand up for something resulting in loss of friendship or status.

 2 Samuel 24:24 states, "I will not offer unto the Lord my God that which costs me nothing."

In that same way I think God often asks us to do things for him that will cost us something and that feels like a mighty sacrifice.

Those "sacrifices" to God are a beautiful offering to HIM, but lets be real honest...it doesn't seem so beautiful when you're the one sacrificing. It hurts, it's uncomfortable, it goes against what feels natural and safe...and yet, God doesn't ever ask us to do something that will not bring Him glory or is for our benefit.

"The Sting of Sacrifice is soothed in HIS PRESENCE"

Does Sacrifice hurt? YEP

Does is sting and feeling uncomfortable? Absolutely.

But you don't have to go through the pain of the sacrifice alone. 

When you spend time in the presence of God it's almost like the Holy Spirit just pours spiritual neosporin all over those aching wounds.

When I start feeling like what God has asked of me, "JUST ISN'T FAIR"....it's time to spend more time in HIS presence.

Only in His presence are we provided the strength to overcome what can be unbearable sacrifice.

When Jesus was about to be betrayed and he knew his crucifixion was near. What did he do??

He went to the garden to pray. He spent ALL night soaking in the presence of God as preparation for the sacrifice he was about to make for us.

I bet Jesus thought it was "PRETTY UNFAIR" when he asked his disciples, his very closest friends to stay awake with him to pray, just to return to find them comfortably sleeping. 
There they lie resting as Jesus prepared for the most horrible thing that he'd have to endure on this earth.

I bet he felt pretty alone.

"The Sting of Sacrifice is Soothed in HIS presence."



To the heart that's lonely from moving away....that ache is soothed in His presence.

To the addict who's craving just another hit or drink.......the cravings are soothed in His presence.

To the single one who's putting aside their desires for marriage and family to serve a greater call...
Those longings are soothed in His presence.

I don't know what type of sacrifice you may feel like you're facing. I don't know what pain and longings torment your heart and mind.

But I do know, that it ALL can be soothed in His presence.

Find comfort in the presence of God today.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment